Thursday, January 26, 2012

Gluten Free/Dairy Free Pan Bread

I'm really excited about sharing this gluten free/dairy free recipe because it has become a staple in our house. Who can live without bread? Okay, okay. So I'm trying to cut carbs, but I've got a family to feed. An entirely gluten free family at that. My grocery bill and the increasing frequency of my grocery store trips has me convinced that my three boys (four including hubby) vaporize food. Have you seen the cost of a loaf of gluten free bread at the store? Need I say more?


Why pan bread? Because it's quick, versatile, easy and you don't have to wait forever on a loaf in the oven, only to discover the inside is still mushy. My boys told me that they like my pan bread better than any brand I've tried from the store. For one thing, it doesn't crumble (as many GF breads do), it's as fluffy as regular bread, it's great for dipping in olive oil, hummus, making sandwiches, as a side with stew or kabobs, or as wraps. I've even rolled it up with peanut butter.

Note that I use white rice flour. Now, I'm big on whole grain and I do incorporate it into the majority of our diet, but when it comes to bread and baked goods, I've found that white rice flour gives a more spongy, 'regular' texture. Feel free to experiment with adding a little brown rice flour if you wish.

Rula's GF/DF Pan Bread

Ingredients:

2 TBS sugar
2 TBS yeast
2 1/2 c warm water
1 tsp white vinegar
2 eggs
3 c white rice flour (I use Bob's Red Mill)
1 c tapioca flour (same as starch...I use Bob's for this too)
2 1/2 tsp salt (adjust to taste...I keep mine flat rather than heaping or it gets too salty)
2 tsp baking powder

Directions:

In a large bowl, whisk together the sugar, yeast and warm water. Wait one minute and whisk in the vinegar and eggs. (I've found that a whisk works best in this recipe)

Dump in all the dry ingredients and whisk it into a pancake-like batter. That's all there is to it!

Now, set a non-stick frying pan on medium heat (wipe on a few drops of oil if necessary at first) and pour in a ladle full of batter, tilting the pan to spread the batter slightly to about 5 inches in diameter. When it begins to bubble on top, flip it with a spatula. It should take less than a minute or so per side to get golden brown (depending on your stovetop). On to the next!

Variation: Crumble about a teaspoon of dried oregano and/or thyme into the batter for an herbed bread...perfect for olive oil dipping...just like in the italian restaurants.

Makes ten 5 inch breads. If you want to make thinner breads (for rolling up) just add a little more water to the batter.

And since these look like pancakes and I don't want to be a tease, I'll be sure to post a mouth watering GF/DF pancake recipe soon!

6 comments:

  1. It does look like a pancake. I'm guessing the taste is totally different.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Carol! You're right, and the batter consistency is similar. Looks like a pancake...tastes like bread. Hence, pan bread ;) It's faster than whipping up a batch of biscuits...or at least as fast :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought it was a pancake too. LOL
    I love easy bread recipes.

    PS YOu won a book over on my blog today... Shoot me an email jennifer AT jennifershirk DOT com.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Jennifer! Thanks! I'll send that email soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, those do look yummy! Geez, now I'm hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a really good read for me. Must agree that you are one of the coolest blogger I ever saw. Thanks for posting this useful information. This was just what I was on looking for. I'll come back to this blog for sure!
    list of rice exporters

    ReplyDelete