Thursday, March 3, 2011

Gluten Free/Dairy Free Pound Cake

It has been awhile since I've posted a gluten free recipe. This one isn't calorie free, but it's delicious substitute for regular pound cake or yellow sheet cakes. I'd say it's my family's favorite. I adapted it from a recipe I kept from a 1997 issue of American Baby. It went through an overhaul to accommodate our gluten, dairy, and citrus free diet. The results passed the kid test :). Enjoy!


Rula's GF/DF Pound Cake

Ingredients:
6 large eggs, separated - put yolks in a larger bowl
1 1/2 c + 2 TBS sugar
3/4 c Earth Balance Buttery Spread melted and cooled (I use soy free. If you don't have a problem with dairy, feel free to use real butter. If it's unsalted, add a dash of salt to the recipe. Earth balance already has salt in it.)
1/4 c Bob's Red Mill ground almonds
1/2 tsp almond extract
2 c Bob's Red Mill white rice flour
1/2 c Bob's Red Mill tapioca starch/flour
2 tsp baking powder (gluten free brand)
1 c Almond milk (shake well)

Directions:
-Preheat oven to 350 degrees
-Whisk egg yolks, add sugar and whisk again
-Add melted/cooled 'butter', ground almonds, and almond extract and mix
-Add mixture of white rice flour, tapioca starch, and baking powder
-Add almond milk. Batter will will thin quickly.
-In separate bowl, use an electric beater to make egg whites fluffy, but not stiff
-Fold in egg whites (you can use whisk, but not electric beater on this step)
-Pour batter into a well greased bundt pan (note batter will be thin)
-Bake 1 hour (until knife comes out clean)

Note: You can also use loaf pans or a 9 x13 baking dish to make a sheet cake. Baking time may vary. For sheet cake frosting, I melt GF/DF chocolate chips (by Enjoy Life) and spread on top. The bundt cake I made in the photo above has powdered sugar sifted on top.

I hope you like it!

I won't be posting a new blog next week. I really need the week to crank down on my writing. But be sure to pop in on Monday the 14th for an interview and giveaway with Harlequin Superromance author Kimberly Van Meter. See you then!

3 comments:

  1. I have a neighbor who has to eat gluten free. This sounds perfect for her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jennifer! Hope she likes it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Rula,

    Have to try this recipe now, sounds yum.
    All the best with your goals this week!

    ReplyDelete