Monday, November 15, 2010

Carpe articulum!

Carpe diem won't cut it.

I need to seize the moment. The moment that perfect idea, scene, or solution to a plotting problem finds its way into an accessible part of my brain. If I don't seize it right then and there, it's gone. At a minimum, it becomes muddled or incoherent, and I have to strain to get it back. I'm telling you, the saying 'this too shall pass' refers to ideas and my short term memory. Yes, my real name is Dory.

Seizing that moment, no matter where I am, involves carrying a small notebook in my purse, but there are times when I don't have my purse, or I've forgotten the notebook by my computer. I've taken to catching thoughts on napkins, receipts, backs of envelopes, notecards, printer paper, grocery list pads, and Post-its (or sticky notes of any kind - love 'em to death). But what about the darn shower?

What is it about showers? They're relaxing. They make you sing better (come on, don't deny it). They make you think better too. A dilemma if you're a writer who needs to get their thoughts down quickly. Paper and water. Now there's a relationship with conflict for you. I need some sort of water proof writing pad that can hang in the shower. Don't deep sea divers have gadgets like that?

And what about driving? I get great ideas while trying to tune out the kids in the back seat, but I can't jot them down unless I'm at a red light. As for tape recorders, the sound of my voice messes with my train of thought.

So what do you do to seize the moment? What's the strangest thing you've jotted a thought down on?

11 comments:

  1. Hey Dori! I think a lot of writers have this problem. When you're doing things like driving or showering, you tend to be on auto-pilot to some degree. It doesn't take all of your thought processes to do it (although driving probably should!). The rest of your mind is free to wander and it usually starts twirling stories ideas and concepts around. It's what happens to me. I have to get it right then and there as well otherwise it's usually just...gone. I'll try to memorize it by coming up with a key sentence that I hope will trigger the rest of the thought. Doesn't always work so I'm interested to see what others might say :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kaily! I try for a key sentence or key word as well. Sometimes it works, but alas, sometimes it doesn't. I probably have to write those down too :(

    I refuse to blame it on age ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post Dorie!
    And I am a WORLD CLASS shower singer! My bathroom as the best acoustics, I sound like frigging Billy Holiday in the shower. Out of the shower, meh. Not so much.

    Like all good writerinsomniacs, I get most of my good ideas in the middle of the night right when I'm finally decompressing and just about the fall asleep. And I'm happy to have them! The laptop is always within arms reach (I keep it right next to my bed).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, and I do the same thing Kaily! I'm all "Huh, what does "standoff" mean?
    Or I'll think "Well that's SUCH a good idea, there's no way I'll forget it." and then I promptly do. Drives me nuts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Billie Holiday! LOL :) I get ideas right when I'm falling asleep too. I keep a notepad and pencil on my nightstand, but there are times when I wake up in the morning and I can't read my chicken scratch. I have neat handwriting, so I must really be half asleep when I'm writing those notes! I tell you, there's an idea trend with moments where our bodies and minds are super relaxed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I keep a notepad by my bed too! I always am thinking about my wip right before I fall asleep and sometimes I have to snap myself awake to jot a line or idea down. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Jennifer! Nice to know I'm not alone in this :). I'm starting to think that a great writer Christmas gift would be a notepad with a little clip-on reading light...or better yet, a notepad holder with a built in one. My DH hates it when I switch my lamp on. I'm getting good at writing in the dark ;).

    ReplyDelete
  8. I typed out an idea as a text and saved it in my phone once. I was a bit desperate as I had no paper and no pen! My work diary for the 9-5 often has ideas for the 6 - 10 inside it instead. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Jayne! That's one great idea that never occured to me. I always have my phone, but there are times when I don't have anything to write on. Texting manuscript notes. Boy, it shows how times are changing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Rula thank you for coming to my blog, another thing i do is repeat it over and over like a psycho I also get looks from pple too but i dont care, I do it in bed too if I am too lazy to get up and write. When I wake up in the morning I usually forget but eventually it comes back bcos my mind has heard it so many times.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Joanna! Thanks for popping by! You're blog is awesome BTW. Repetition is a great thing, and you're so right in that it should increase the chance of remembering at least a word (or like Kaily said, a phrase) that'll bring the entire memory back. I guess I need to go back to using my school study tactics :).

    ReplyDelete