Thursday, June 10, 2010

Gluten Free/Dairy Free Brownies

Who needs retail therapy when they can have chocolate therapy? Okay. It's a trade off. One is harsh on the wallet and the other is harsh on the hips...but wait...not necessarily. Moderation is the universal rule-of-thumb for good living. I was ecstatic when studies first revealed the health benefits of dark chocolate. Lowering blood pressure, reducing risk of stroke, stimulating our endorphins (feel good chemicals) and serotonin (natural anti-depressant), are only a few of the antioxidant/flavonoid rich dark chocolate health benefits. With summer at our door, I figured I'd share my sinful recipe. Of course, it includes sugar and calories, but it is gluten and dairy free. Whether it's for The Call, a revision letter, or a rejection, chocolate should be at every writer's side.


Rula's GF/DF Brownies

Ingredients:

*4 TBS sunflower or safflower oil  (see below)
1 1/2c sugar (substitute Xylitol if you don't want sugar, but it can cause 'bubble trouble' in some folks :))
6 eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 c Hershey's Cocoa Powder

*for a richer taste, substitute 1/2 c Earth Balance Soy Free Natural Buttery Spread for oil

Optional: Purely Decadent Vanilla 'ice cream' substitute, based on coconut milk. It's to die for.

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (convection ovens will automatically adjust to 325)
2. In a large, microwave safe bowl, melt the chocolate chips for 1-2 min. If they cream up when stirred, they're ready.
3. Add sugar, oil and vanilla. Stir well.
4. Add cocoa powder and eggs. Stir well. I like to use a mixer to get rid of lumps.
5. Pour into a 9x9 silicone pan or greased cake dish and bake for 30-35 minutes.
6. Cool and enjoy plain or with Purely Decadent frozen desert.

It's that easy! All in one mixing bowl. No one would even know it was GF or DF. For those of you who, like my family, are GF/DF, stick with brands that you know are safe (I use the ones above). Due credit goes to my little sis for once giving me a recipe for flourless chocolate cake (before my dietary changes) that I was able to change into something I could enjoy.

I'm off to dig into the one I photographed above. Do you think I can burn off the calories by typing 1000 words?

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the GF brownie recipe. I can't wait to try it!

    Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Carrie! Let me know what you think. It's definitely chocolaty. The moistness (depending on how you like it) can be adjusted with the oil. Hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete