Thursday, March 1, 2012

Gluten Free / Dairy Free Pancakes

I call it pancake therapy. Without fail, if my kids wake up in sour moods, pancakes sweeten them up with smiles that last all day. Okay. Not all day...but all morning maybe. Perfect moods all day with my three boys would require pancakes for breakfast, lunch and dinner, which isn't going to happen.

I'll admit that these pancakes sweeten me up too, but it's the fresh strawberries that really get me. I love fresh berries. Although I do use white rice flour instead of brown (I have child who can't tolerate the fructose levels in brown rice, but feel free to substitute or mix both types), these pancakes have the added health kick of vitamin E found in the almond milk and safflower oil ingredients. I also use real maple syrup (which didn't show up in the photo because it absorbs so quickly) or fresh fruit as toppings. The pancakes come out like a cross between french crepes and regular pancakes. A yummy gluten/dairy free recipe that was born out of the traditional recipe I used before going gluten free, a recipe my kid brought home from a school cooking class, and a list of all our family dietary restrictions. Put all that in a blender and you have the recipe below ;).


Rula's Gluten free/Dairy free Pancakes

Ingredients:

3 cups white rice flour (I use Bob's Red Mill brand on all flours)
1 cup tapioca flour/starch
2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp (flat) salt
1/2 c sugar
4 eggs
4 1/4 cups almond milk (lately I've been using Silk's original almond milk)
5 TBS safflower oil (has many of the benefits of olive oil, but with a mild flavor)

Directions:

In a large bowl, whisk together all the dry ingredients.
Add all the wet ingredients and whisk again.
Place a non-stick pan on medium heat (rub it with a thin coat of oil for the first pancake if needed...none after that. Sometimes the first pancake doesn't brown as well as the rest).
Use a ladle to pour batter for one pancake at a time. Flip when it bubbles towards the center, the edges look almost cooked through, and if you lift the edge a bit it looks golden underneath.
Top with maple syrup, fruit, or dairy-free Earth Balance buttery spread (or any toppings your heart desires...especially if you're not dairy free).
Makes between 15-20 pancakes depending on size. Leftovers are great rolled up with peanut butter as a snack.
Enjoy!


10 comments:

  1. Thanks for this recipe! I have to admit, I don't usually stop to read when I see recipes online, because I am a pretty terrible cook and can never do it justice, but this time is an exception. My family is gluten & lactose intolerant, so this is a big help! Let's hope I don't burn these pancakes. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shelley! I know what it's like shopping and cooking for an entire family that's gluten/dairy free. I feel for you. I hope they like the pancakes. As a tip, I really did have to use a non-stick pan (I got an eco-friendly one) to make it work. I made a mess when I tried a regular pan.

    If you're interested, I have a link on the right side bar for the other gluten/dairy free recipes that I've posted (including pound cake and really easy brownies).

    Thanks for trying out the recipe! Hope the family enjoys it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Husband loves pancakes. Me, not so much. He's the one with the sweet tooth. I like the fresh fruit as a topping idea, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Rula! Your picture looks VERY appetizing! We're lucky in that we don't have any food restrictions, but I am trying to cut WAY back on sugar--we have diabetes in my family and I really do need to be more cognizant of the dangers. We're breakfast-for-dinner types like your boys, but I haven't made pancakes in a while because of the whole carb-cutting thing. Bless your heart for taking such good care of your family! And for sharing your yummy pics! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband makes pancakes every Sunday for dinner. They are more like crepes than American style pancakes. We have them with berries and whipping cream. They're healthy because he puts all kinds of junk in them (like oat bran).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Carol - Can't beat fresh fruit :)

    Hey Kathy - Thanks :). I hear you on the diabetes. I have close friends who are diabetic, and as an optometrist, it's an issue close to my heart (bc of the ocular affects). I have to watch out for heart disease in my family. I personally can't indulge in pancakes or other carbs very often. When I do, I like to do things like throw in a bunch of ground flaxseed into the mix ;)...even with the pancakes. Usually, I can sneak that past my kids in frozen berry shakes :)

    Hi Stina - We like doing the breakfast for dinner thing too. I personally love 'healthy junk' (lol, love the phrase), but sometimes it means making several different versions of the same recipe bc of my kid who can't handle some of the healthier ingredients...and another who has certain allergies apart from gluten/dairy. Planning meals in my house is like a full time job LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excuse the type...should be 'effects'...need more coffee.

      Delete
  7. Oooh, I'd like to try rice flour! Need to look for that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. An interesting recipe. I'm more of a chocolate chip pancake kind of girl but it's great that there are recipes for those who have a harder time digesting the heavier stuff. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Emma! I love chocolate and I do have dairy free chocolate chips on hand. Bet my kids would love 'em in pancakes. My favorite thing to add is blueberries :)

    ReplyDelete